Local Authority: Lewisham
Owner Type: Many
Funding Body: HERS; Public; Private; CAP
Year of Intervention: 1999 - 2002
Summary: New Cross- recovering pride of place in a run down historic road corridor through the aid of the Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme (HERS).
Description: The New Cross Heritage Economic Regeneration Scheme (HERS) concentrates on the linear regeneration of the A2 historic road corridor through Deptford, New Cross and New Cross Gate.
Issue: Conservation is a way of offering sustainable solutions to the social and economic problems afflicting run-down areas such as New Cross and Deptford, which comprise wards with the highest indices of deprivation in the country. The renaissance of this area demonstrates that historic buildings can form the focus around which the regeneration of a community can take place.
Strategy: The HERS for the A2 corridor is the successor of two very successful CAP schemes. The A2 conservation area corridor has benefited from extensive funding over the last three years (2000-2002) for the restoration and improvement of many 18th and 19th century terraces which line the historic route. The under-used upper floors have vast potential to provide much needed housing and mixed uses. By investing in these run-down neighbourhoods the London Borough of Lewisham, in partnership with English Heritage, is not only securing the long-term future of dilapidated buildings, but enhancing perceptions of Deptford and New Cross as the gateway to London for those who approach it from the south east. Assistance is also being provided to local neighbourhood businesses by generating local employment activities that help to form a focus for community life
Outcome: The HERS in New Cross was funded by £280,971 of English Heritage grant, which levered an additional £721,579 of public and private sector funding. These investments have helped to improve 13 buildings, 1, 387 square meters of commercial floorspace and 30 homes. As a consequence, 26 new jobs have been created and a further 35 have been safeguarded. Some of the larger projects completed include repairs to the All Saints’ Church on New Cross Road dating from c. 1870 and reinstatement and repair of original features on a late 19th century three story building at No. 191 New Cross Road. Refurbishement and a complete overhaul of the White Hart Public House dating from c. 1870 was also carried out.
Keywords: Funding, Regeneration, Repair, Reconstruction & Restoration
© English Heritage